Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The disillusionment of Elle


The other day, Chris put the antenna up on Elle's little TV so she could watch Shrek the Halls. (We never watch TV here)
The next day, Elle asked me if she could watch TV again. I said sure. A few minutes after we turned it on, Elle came running out all excited. "There's a little boy standing in the street and there's a lot of WATER! It's been raining really hard!" Apparently, she was watching the news. And it was very exciting.
Later, we let her stay up and watch another Christmas special on TV. When I asked her how it was, she said, "They kept coming and saying, 'News at 11! News at 11! News at 11!' All the time! And then they kept showing the SAME ads over and over!" She hasn't asked to watch it again.
AND. . .
Yesterday, Elle asked me the BIG question (no, not that one, she's still young) "Mom, do YOU believe in Santa?" I told her she could believe in Santa if she wanted to. "Who REALLY puts the presents under the tree? I wanna know the TRUTH" she said. So, I spilled it. She took it really well. I told her how my niece was furious with her parents for lying to her all that time. Elle told me she wasn't mad. I think she liked the idea of being in on a special secret. I told her it was still fun to pretend. After all, her own grown-up aunts were upset the year Santa didn't come and all the gifts were from Mom and Dad.
Later she asked, "So, who eats all the cookies? Do you and dad eat ALL of them?" I told her we usually just put them back. She said, "This year, I'll only put TWO cookies on the plate for Santa." She seems happy about the whole thing, but I, on the other hand, am so sad that she's no longer a believer.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Kate said...

Santa spoiler! It's one thing to say that Santa doesn't exist, but to not eat the cookies and just put them back......the shame!

Amber said...

What??? Are you saying Santa isn't real? No no no...this can't be true!!! HaHa. Have a very Merry Christmas!!! At least it wasn't really the "BIG" question. My friend had to explain it to her 7 year old after she started "hearing" things at school. So watch out...you don't have that much longer.

Nanette said...

neither do you!

Karalenn Hippen said...

Oh no! Kenzie still hasn't asked that, I remember how crushing it was for me. I hope she handles it as well as Elle when the time comes. Isn't is sad though, there isn't a Santa believer in the house. Kenzie likes to read your blog with me and was right beside me. Luckily I can read faster than her and when I got past the news part and saw what was up ahead I kicked her out of the room. phew. That was a close one. You should put some sort of warning. :)

Nanette said...

I didn't realize there were more believers out there who read the blog! sorry!

David Tami & Family said...

Nan-

This is Courtney . . your really upset neice. Ha-ha. I am glad that Elle took it well. So I just wanted to shed some new light on why I was so upset when I found out . . fill you in on the real story if you will :D ha-ha. Okay so, when I found out that Santa wasn't real, I approached my mom to ask her if that was true. She said that he was real and not to listen to my friends. I said, "mom, really I know it's not true - just tell me the truth" and she kept lying to me over and over again. It really upset me that she would't tell me. Ha-ha so I think that's why it was so dramatic . . she wouldn't admit it to me! So for all you parents out there who's kids don't know yet - use Nan's method. It will leave your kids more happy! :D Merry Christmas! It was good to hear from you. Love ya!

Nanette said...

Thanks for the great advice, Courtney!I'm glad you don't mind my story about you on the blog! I'm sure you're over the Santa thing by now anyway. right? ;)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header made with PS brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space