Have you ever smelled something so bad, you just have to tell the person nearest you to “smell this!” And they do, and they agree that “ULGH! That’s awful!” Then they wonder why you asked them to smell it in the first place, and why they would ever smell it after seeing your horrified expression.
Well, I finished a book like this last night.
My friend loaned it to me because she’s presenting it for book club in June. I felt obligated to read it because:
1- I had to give it back so she could re-read it before book club
and
2- I knew she would ask me how I liked it.
3- I couldn’t stop reading it.
It was awful. I kept reading bits aloud to Chris as if to say “smell this!” and he’d cringe and agree that it was indeed a horrible book and ask why I kept reading it. “It’s like watching a train wreck!” he said.
I’ve never read a book with so many swear words in it! I felt violated at times while reading! Chris even hid it from me last Saturday (which is good because it’s really not a book I should read on the Sabbath).
My mom felt the same way when she read Catcher in the Rye. She, however, had the sense to stop reading. Knowing me, you’d think I’d do the same, but no, I kept reading with horrified fascination.
The worst part is, it’s a true story!
I knew it turned out somewhat OK because the whole thing is a flashback. The author seemed to have turned out alright despite her horrible life. She didn’t mention having to go through therapy or anything, but I’m thinking I should go through therapy after reading it.
It was such a relief to get to the end.
Thankfully, another friend loaned me a book that was totally funny. I’d switch between the two so I wouldn’t get so moody.
I want to tell you all to go smell it, but you’d just wonder why on earth I would do that to you.
So don’t. Totally. It really is as bad as it smells.
5 comments:
well know I have to know what book it was. Do tell, I won't read it, but I must know.
Seriously! You have to tell us what the book is? What if I accidentally pick it up to read?
I third that comment. what was the book???? you can send us all an email if you don't want to taint you blog with the name ....
cha, I want the names of BOTH books!
Nanette - You are a great writer! I was so engrossed in this post, I had not noticed that I walked up to the 12th floor, rather than stopping at 9th, while reading it.
And stop teasing us. Post the names of the books, will ya?
PS Maybe Clara will be inspired to trip her hair by Elle's beautiful example. The scissors have not touched her hair since she was 3 years old.
Post a Comment