Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lost

So, I had a doctor's appointment the other day.  I couldn't park in my usual spot in the parking garage, but I found a spot that close to the elevator, so I could find it easily.
Well, not so.
When I got off the elevator, I walked around to where my car was, but it wasn't there.  I used my key fob to honk the car. Didn't hear anything.  I thought maybe I was just on the wrong side of the elevator, so I walked around to the other side and honked again.  Nothing.  I tried walking down the nearest slope and honked a couple more times even though I was pretty sure I hadn't parked there. 
I knew the car close to the elevator, so I walked over there again and honked again.  And agian.
I was starting to get paniky by this point.  I realized I hadn't really paid attention to which floor I parked on, but I was pretty sure it was "baby deer" level again.  Just in case, I went up one level.  I couldn't see the car immediately, so I trid honking again.  Nothing.  Again.  I walked around the other side of the elevator. No car and no sound from the car.
I went back down to "baby deer" level becasue I was almost positive (just almost, 'cause only fools are positive) that I parked on that level.
No one was around to help (or to hear my honking  thank goodness) except an older couple that was leaving.
So, I'd walk a few steps in one direction and honk.  Then I'd go the other way. HONK. Nothing.
HONK. Nothing.
Of course I had already said several silent prayers for help, but still nothing.
Finally, FINALLY, I honked the car only a few feet away from the elevator and I HEARD IT!!!
 It  seemed a little far away, so I honked a couple more times on the  way.
Then I saw it!!! I was overjoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEN. . .
I heard a voice. It said, "You finally found it, huh?" !!Ya. There was no one around!  Who had said that?
It was a man's voice, so I thought maybe it was my gardian angel.  But if it was, why didn't he help me all this time?
Then, as I was going to open the car door, I saw that there was a man sitting in a van reading a book!  I mean, who does that?!  Reading a book in your car in a dark parking garage?  Wierd.
I  hysterically, embarraingsgly  apoligetically said, "I couldn't hear it!" And got in my car.
Please tell my that YOU'VE gotten lost too!


9 comments:

the lunch lady said...

we once got so lost trying to find our car in the underground parking at the Joseph Smith Memorial building that we discovered whole new areas of the parking lot that are attached to the church office buildings and ended up having to get help and went through the smelly depths of buildings were no tourist has been before. it was gross and a little terrifying too. but no creepy guys reading in dark vans . . .

Jeanne said...

seems kind of jerky to make a comment like that (the guy's, not the lunch lady's).

I've been lost too, but not by myself. By myself I think I would get panicky, but when I'm with someone else I just laugh.

When my mom has to go somewhere with a big parking garage, she buys a helium balloon and ties it to her car. Kind of silly, but she says it works.

Lisa said...

Yes, even I, have forgotten where I've parked, especially at the grocery store.

J. Henry Fernstrom said...

My personal favorite is when I forget that I drove John's car to the store and when I come out of the store I search all over for the van. Especially dorky when escorted by the helpful bag boy who is bringing out your groceries!!

J. Henry Fernstrom said...

Do you like that I am posting under my secret alias???

Nanette said...

I love the alias!
Hmm. Who could you be?? ;)

Kristen said...

pah haha! that's awesome. I would have said the same thing that the guy said. maybe i'm a jerk deep down inside, but I bet he was secretly amused. Probably the first couple of honks scared the snot out of him.

*snicker*

I hear that you can often find grown men in the parking lot at Disneyland, crying, looking for their cars.

good thing you don't have to go back for 6 months!

corbeau said...

I get lost all the time, including in large hotels. The worst parking garage lost I've been was at a mall in Norfolk. It had two parking garages, one on each end. Not only did I forget what level I parked on, I forgot which garage. And since it was my little Geo Prizm, I had no handy honking thing, so I had to wander up and down the aisles. It took me 2 and half hours to find my car.

hannah said...

i lose my car in parking garages ALL the time.
most scary lost car incident tho' was when i riding with a school friend for a field trip to "skid row". we finished the trip and went up to level 2 where we know we parked the car... but it wasn't there. we circled the WHOLE level - it wasn't that big and she drives a cherry red scion with limo-tinted windows so it is pretty hard to miss. anyway, long story short there were two level two's, one right below the other. only in LA, huh?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header made with PS brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space