I am not Martha. I don't want to be.I hate scrapbooking. I can't even cut straight. With a paper cutter. I found out that this is MY super power. (not quite as cool a power as some other girl I know)
So, I volunteered at school today. First, I read National Geographic Kids with a small group of kids (including my own. :) It was fine. I'm OK with stuff like that. "Shut, up. Sit down. Read. Stop talking. Stop talking so loud."
But my second task was to cut paper a certain size using the guillotine-like paper cutter. It had nice little grid lines and everything. Scared me to death.
I had to ask for help.
The lovely chic mom who was in the workroom too, showed me how. "I'm a big scrapbooker." she tells me.
"We can never be friends" I think to myself.
Anyway, even after her help, I still managed to cut the paper crooked! CHA! I dunno. I thought I was on the lines and everything. Apparently not. Maybe it was because my hands were totally shaking while I was working! I was THAT nervous trying to get it right!
I guess I'm not so good with paper. I can't even figure out this cool origami heart my sister gives me a link to every year. (Sorry, Sis!)
I did the best I could (and they WERE probably passable), then gave them to the teacher.
*big sigh o' relief* I'm so glad THAT'S over.
Ya, Martha and I can probably never be friends either.
11 comments:
Hurray another post!
That is too funny. I think paper cutters are made with some curse on them. I've never made a straight cut on one of 'em.
Thank you for giving me hope!
it's all in the wrist.
(not really. I just wanted to say that!)
I feel your pain. One of my kids preschool teachers asked me to color (COLOR) some stuff (with crayons) and I looked up at her, deeply pained, and asked, "Really?"
She wasn't amused.
But she just didn't understand my angst.
I did get your message last weekend. I will call you! Never fear!
Lunch Lady can't complain...she's too talented. Not fair.
AMEN!!
That's okay, I can't cut straight either. I tend to cut with more enthusiasm than talent. :)
I feel you on this one. I always make Tyler cut paper for me. And I have the added pleasure of being a lefty so half the time the scissors don't cut / work right anyway.
First off, I don't want to be Martha.
BUT, I love her stuff. First of all, she's a pretty brilliant business woman (if you look into her empire). And she's basically the person who, with her first book, helped a generation of former bra burners realize that everything their 50's mothers had done wasn't worthless. She's made it trendy(-er) to present nice meals to your family, put some pride into your living spaces, and unleash your creativity on the home front.
I find it ironic that the end result of all these things is to make a happy life for your family, which seems to be the one thing she struggled with. But I already said before, I don't want to BE her.
Plus, you have to admit that the design of Martha Stewart Living Magazine is about 1000x more visually acceptable than Better Homes and Gardens. I hate ugly magazines.
But just so you know, I never scrapbook (and have no desire to). So I hope we can still be friends.
Oh silly Nan. I love using those paper cutters and we're friends- so see you could be friends with tha chic workroom mom. :)
just so we're all clear - miss Penelope can cut a straight line with JUST SCISSORS so she does not get to comment on this post.
i can use a paper cutter - sometimes even with success. freehand cutting is the devil though.
Shame on you! Clara made Origami hearts for all the girls in her class. And she is 7! lol
Post a Comment