Chris' mom was in town for Thanksgiving.
She was at home making pies for us. I was working book fair at school. (again)
My friend and I had just gone to Scholastic to pick up some books we needed. She asked me if I needed a ride home. I said nah.
I worked a little bit more on book fair and then started walking home.
I decided to go down the little back street behind our building where it was quieter so I could call Kristen. I was a little nervous about going that way, (hello, Holy Ghost) but I decided to be brave and go anyway.
I called Kristen, but she wasn't home.
As I walked, I noticed a guy in a parked car.
I kept walking while I put my phone in my purse.
Another guy was walking from the parked car toward the sidewalk. He turned to the guy in the car, made a pone gesture and said, "The girl on the cell phone."
I thought, "Wait. Are they talking about ME?"
Of course not.
I kept walking, and unzipped my purse to get my house keys out.
I looked up and there was the phone gesturing man in front of me.
Weird.
I thought, "I'm not going to be prejudice (he was black). I'm sure he just wants to wish me a happy Thanksgiving, so I'll be polite."
NOPE.
He said, "GIVE ME YOUR BAG!"
I didn't have a bag, (I didn't realize he meant my purse) but, I knew this guy was trouble. My heart started racing and panic washed over me.
I instinctively clutched my purse with my right hand.
He reached out and plucked it off my arm.
I was still holding the strap.
Then I woke up.
He walked into the street.
A red car drove by.
I looked around for help and I started to approach the red car (purse strap still in hand).
The man was on the opposite side of the car
POINTING A GUN
at the driver and demanding his F_ing wallet.
I decided it was a good time to head home.
I slowly walked the 50 or so yards to my street and went down.
I turned to see if they car or the guy was around.
They weren't, so I ran the rest of the way home.
My hands shook as I unlocked the gate and then the building door and then my door.
I ran inside still clutching and now waving my purse strap and said, "I just got mugged!"
My mother-in-law hugged me and I ran to the computer to look up the local police station's number.
She said, "Just call 911!"
I did.
Then I called Chris, and he canceled all my cards
Less than 10 min. later, there was a loud knock at the door.
I peeked through the peaky hole (after standing on a stool so I could reach it).
No one was there.
Loud knock again.
"What do I do?!" I asked my mother-in-law.
"Ask who it is!"
I did.
They said it was LAPD.
I opened the door to find a police woman flat against the wall holding a gun with both hands pointing toward the ceiling, and a police man on my left in the same stance.
They came in and said how nice it smelled (from the pumpkin pie).
We offered them water, but they declined.
I gave them a crappy description of the guy and told them I thought he talked to a guy in a black SUV.
The police checked all the garbage cans, but they didn't find anything.
I filled out a report and later mailed a paper in listing everything that was in my purse including $10.
Since we were doing well with our budget, Chris said we'd just file the $10 under "Gifts."
It's been a year and I haven't heard a thing about my purse since.
So, be wiser than me and don't carry so much in your purse, and don't go down back roads by yourself especially when you hear the Holy Ghost tell you not to. :)
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I was thinking about that day as I baked a pumpkin pie this afternoon. I'm glad I was there and I'm glad it hasn't happened again.
poor Nan!! Not a good holiday memory. :(
Thanks for being there, Mom!
There it is in black and white, the whole horribly terrifying story in detail.
Sorry you had to go through such a rotten experience on a beautiful day.
Praying this Thanksgiving is 100% better. Here's missing you in Michigan.
See you soon. Love, Lisa
maybe it is time to start carrying mace, or pepper spray, or a gun. Just kidding on the last part. Okay, well I just don't' walk home anymore, it is dark by 4:30.
Just move already!! Go somewhere really safe and quiet. The midwest?
I'm glad you're ok now.
Happy Thanksgiving-we love you!
Oh my gosh! That is freaky, Nannette! I'm so glad you were okay. Do you have nightmares about that still?
Man I'm sorry. I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I second the call for pepper spray.
what a jerk. in heaven, I'm gonna smack him.
pepper spray woudn't'a helped though - if it was in her purse, what? Nan needs a shirt that says "tough B!tch" and then must wear it every day, with a big scowl on her face.
I bet that would work.
I'm rolling on the floor picturing Nan wearing a shirt like that! Hah Hah! Sorry that happened, Here's to better times!
Post a Comment